2.21.2007

Music Marketing Ruining Music?


Interesting quote from Win Butler of Arcade Fire:

From NME.com:


"I don't know if U2 started it, or The Stones or Oasis but a lot of
bands think in terms of: 'I'm going to be the biggest band in the world. Fuck
all those bands who've got no ambition'. I think that's a total crock of shit.

"There's nothing less interesting to me than the idea of marketing the fuck
out of something so people are forced to like it. Some bands are just
manipulating people to buy music. That's how 90 per cent of the record industry
works! It's basically the same as selling a fucking toaster or a cruise
package."



Interesting quote there...

Not so sure it is true but I can definitely see this perspective of an indie band.

Especially in a world where you have to pay $100 just to be able to have the chance at buying Police tickets....

No comments: